Settled in the late 1700’s and known as “Warren”, Apollo was officially laid out in 1816. Completion of the Pennsylvania Main Line Canal system in 1834 brought a period of rapid development and Apollo was incorporated as a borough in 1848. During the urban redevelopment era of the 1960s a block of aging historic buildings was torn down at the town center. A 1960s era plaza was designed to reflect a sleek, streamlined steel town image in keeping with the heritage of the Apollo Steel Company, which operated from 1913 to the 1960’s. A recent renovation of the plaza and town center brings together the old and the new and provides introduction and access to Roaring Run Recreation Area, Kiski River access, and the Apollo Area Historical Society’s W.C.T.U building.