Leechburg

Leechburg

Civil engineer David Leech arrived in what was formerly known as Friendship in 1827 to construct a dam as part of the Main Line Canal project, a massive public works effort to connect Harrisburg to the Pittsburgh area.  Although Leechburg became best known as a steel and coal town, without the canal, Leechburg’s role as a small industrial center might have never evolved.   In the 1830’s, several canal shipping companies operated out of Leechburg, and important boatyards and docks were located here.  People who paddle the mighty, but sometimes low-flowing Kiskiminetas River today may have a hard time believing it, but Leech’s dam established seven miles of navigable water to Apollo.

Visitor Information

Kiski-Conemaugh Water Trail

Leechburg Museum

Armstrong County Tourist Bureau

Leechburg Area Community Association

 

Pittsburgh-to-Harrisburg Main Line Canal Greenway